Built in 1915, the Verdigre St. Wenceslaus Catholic Church was ready for some updates. The impetus for the decision was the upcoming celebration of the church building's 100th year.
According to Building and Grounds Chairman, Dan Vakoc, there have been improvements made throughout the years, but none since the early 90's. The three main updates this summer included re-carpeting, cushions on the pews, and redoing the kneelers. Secondary upgrades involved refinishing the tops of the pews, shortening the front two pews on both sides of the aisle, and re-spacing pews front to back to allow almost 3 extra inches between pews.
In addition, cracks were covered and painted, tile was re-done in the bathroom, the steps to the basement were re-done and carpeted, and the alter was set on a white marble octagon. All improvements were done in such a way as to maintain the integrity of the Romanesque style already present in the church.
Perhaps the most notable change is the 6-foot circular cut-out as members and guests walk in the sanctuary. It welcomes all who enter with the Czech greeting - "Vitame Vas."
The work on the church began the week after Kolach Days and is finished with the exception of a few odds and ends. The church will be having a special ceremony and events in September to honor the 100 year anniversary.
Vakoc credited many helpers in this endeavor. "There were lots and lots of volunteers," he said with a smile. "It is really nice when people take the time to keep it preserved."
Photos of the church can be seen below.